Sunday, May 13, 2012


NUKU HIVA ISLAND

Our plan was to circumnavigate the island stopping last at Taiohae bay which is the biggest town in the Marquesas.  First stop: Controllers Bay.   This is where I landed the Yellowfin Tuna as we arrived.    This bay has a small village with friendly people.    We made friends with a local family and had dinner with them.   They stocked us up with fruit.    




Simon with one of his sons and I.



The waterfall was a long walk and other cruisers were impressed that we even found it because apparently it's a bit hard to find.   We were not sure if we knew where we were going but I suggested that no matter where you are on this island, you will always find a waterfall eventually if you keep walking up the valleys.   It may not be the one you are looking for though!




We learned a song in Marquesan and I got to play the jungle drum.



We went for a walk to the next bay to find a beautiful stream and bay.




I'm decorated in my Marquesan bone carved ear ring and necklace of seeds which I received as a gift from our friend Simon.



The locals put on a show for an arriving cruise ship.  Simons kids were part of the dance team.



Nikki and Yvonne showing off their intricate seed necklaces given to them by Simon.



No comments:

Post a Comment